Wednesday 3 October 2012

Padraig MacMiadhachain

When we moved to Dorset two years ago we visited Swanage and we now regularly visit to sit on the sea front with the best fish and chips we have ever found!

During a walk through the town we chanced upon a small shop front Saul 2 - paintings.

All I can say is that when we went in we were unaware that we were walking into a gallery and about to meet the artist and discover his work which was simply wonderful.

The artist Padraig MacMiadhachain was sat there at his desk just inside the doorway and on the walls hung a huge collection of his work. He was gracious - made us coffee and we enjoyed a wonderful hour talking with him about his life and his art.

It is difficult to convey what an exceptional moment it was to an aspiring artist to meet someone and realise that he had rubbed shoulders with so many of my favourite artists. Likewise it is difficult to convey the vibrant and simple nature of his work via images but I would urge you that when next in the area go to Swanage and hope that the gallery is open.
 [beware he is not always open and the messages he leaves on the door as to where he is or what he is doing are works of art and tell a story in themselves!]

I leave you with a quote from the artist which having met him several times now does capture the essence of the man and his art.

Quote from Padraig MacMiadhachain: "I have painted all my working life; I love painting, and I have managed to live by it. I make some good paintings and loads of rubbish too (hopefully you won't ever see the latter). I seem to have two moods in working ; my usual love of pale greys and warm blacks that are all around me in Dorset and Cornwall, my lifelong fascination with fishing harbours and all their, to me, lovely smells (which I cannot paint). ...and the colour and buzz of Buenos Aires and their ice cream and its fantastic colours, these bright colours have carried over into my recent paintings made in St. Ives and elsewhere."








No comments:

Post a Comment